Friday, December 25, 2009

feliz navidad, my friends.

It's that time of year again. And yet we all go crazy preparing for one day, and that day slips out of our grasps more quickly than we wanted it to.



I wake up at 7:30, not surprised to find my brother awake in the room next door. I'm surprised at the fact that I managed to sleep through the night without knocking my cat off the bed. I go to my mom's room to inform her that yes, both of her kids are awake, and that it's time for her to get up. I am instructed to turn on her coffee maker, which concidentally already has a filter in it. Less than ten minutes later Mom has her precious cup of coffee, and my brother and I are seated by our pile of presents. Sooner or later we will be asked to demolish the sea of wrapping paper that once hid the indentity of our gifts.

Sorry for being a bit sardonic in that last paragraph, but I can't help it. Don't get me wrong, I do love Christmas, but I hate it when it turns into that "Ohmigod, what'd you get?" frenzy, as if it's a competition of some sort. It's been a very tough year for my family of three, but in the last week we have managed to move into a new apartment and have a good holiday. I am thankful for that beyond your imagination. Oh, and I love the excuse to wear comfy sweaters and buy peppermint mochas from Starbucks.

It's time for me to call my dad and I really would like to check my Facebook status and see if other people liked Sherlock Holmes too, because that's just how lame I am.

Haha.

Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. I love the picture :D Yay for moose!

    But yeah, I kind of dislike how everyone immediately jumps to the question of "what'd you get?!" And everyone is pretty quick to update their Facebook statuses about their new iPods, cameras, phones, laptops, cars, etc. They may not intentionally be trying to be boastful, but that's how it tends to come across :P

    But again, yeah, it's kind of sad to think that so much preparation that's put into Christmas is all stripped away in an instant with the tear of wrapping paper...

    Anyways, Merry Christmas to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the "whadya get?" text, too. And I agree, it is boastful. We are an annoying culture, we are.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha i guess it didn't do me much good to ask one of my friends what they got. I was just wondering. I never boast about what i get cause really there's nothing to boast about. I don't intentionally do it though. It sounds like a great holiday evening. I love the family feeling around the holidays. Hope you do too.

    ~Hayley

    ReplyDelete

People who bother to read this